21 December 2016
Submission to the ACT Government – ACT Budget 2017-18
1. The 2017–18 ACT Budget include funding to support roll-out of the Small
Business Initiative to help start-ups successfully transition to the microbusiness
2. The 2017–18 ACT Budget provide funding to support ACT businesses who
are exporting or exploring opportunities for trade. In particular, funding
should be focused on ongoing delivery of relevant training and skills
capacity development and management of Trade Missions.
3. The 2017–18 ACT Budget provide funding of $200,000 per annum for a
period of no less than three years for employment of a Business Trade
Liaison Officer to be based in the Chamber and share knowledge of
opportunities and support an increase in exports by local businesses.
4. The ACT Government work with NSW and the Commonwealth to improve
transport networks and connections within the Canberra Region.
5. The ACT Government develop a prospectus to attract all elements of the
supply chain needed to realise the ACT’s potential as a regional freight
6. The ACT Government maintain its commitment to the Australia Forum and
work with the Federal Government to deliver this project. The Federal
Government must agree to lead development and construction of the
Australia Forum by allocating Budget funding, utilising support and assets
estimated to be valued at $130 million including the proposed site and
proceeds from the existing site committed by the ACT Government, and
utilising funds provided for in the ACT Greens/Labor Parliamentary
Agreement to foster private sector investment.
7. The ACT Government allocate $70,000 in non-recurrent funding in the
2017–18 Budget to support establishment of the CBR Region Business
8. The ACT Government provide funding to establish an Internship
Coordinator position and digital tools to develop and maintain
relationships between the labour market and education and training
institutions to help prepare our future workforce and support the growth
strategy of our education and training sector.
9. The ACT Government work with relevant organisations to investigate
potential areas of skills shortages and implement initiatives to expand the
10. The 2017–18 ACT Budget allocate funding for the Brand Canberra Program
to enable it to continue operating for a further two years.
11. The 2017–18 Budget provide increased financial support for the Special
12. Implementation of permanent site for Floriade be commenced without
delay to provide greater certainty to the ongoing development of the event.
13. The ACT Government provide additional funding for Visit Canberra and
Canberra Convention Bureau and guarantee this funding for the next four
years to lift visitor numbers to the region.
14. Increase capital funding for the National Arboretum and re-establish the
free Parliamentary Triangle bus service to enhance the visitor experience.
15. Fund a strategy to further grow regional tourism with a view to supporting
strong international and regional connections, in particular air services.
16. The Canberra city centre be rejuvenated to ensure it accurately reflects the
city’s identity as a progressive city and a place where locals and visitors
are drawn to.