Available Government Support
Federal Government Assistance
Government assistance includes (but not limited to):
- JobKeeper Payment for employers and employees
- Increasing the instant asset write-off
- Backing Business Investment
- Increased and accelerated income support
- Supporting the flow of credit
- Boosting cash flow for employers
- Supporting apprentices and trainees
- Temporary relief for financially distressed businesses
ACT Government Assistance
On 2 April, the ACT Chief Minister announced a second tranche of economic survival measures to the value of $214 million to help ACT businesses and community. This follows a $137 million package announced last month.
The package includes a number of business support measures including (but not limited to):
- New arrangements, via a proportionate “shared pain” arrangement, to assist commercial landlords in providing rent relief to business tenants via commercial rates rebates and waivers.
- Expanding access to deferrals of commercial general rates for businesses in hardship as a result of COVID-19. Property owners who are experiencing financial hardship can apply directly via the ACT Revenue Office website.
- Delaying the issuing of general rates notices
- Appointment of a Commercial Tenancy Mediator (Business Commissioner) to assist commercial landlords and tenants to negotiate mutually agreeable outcomes
- Rental relief for both community and commercial tenants of ACT buildings
- Extending payroll tax waivers to all businesses directly impacted by the ‘prohibited activities & venues list’. Businesses will need to complete this online application form to confirm their eligibility
- Enabling businesses in the construction industry to access interest-free payroll tax deferral
- Waiver of liquor and several other businesses licensing fees
The Government has developed three broad categories to determine the nature of commercial rates and other relief available to business in the ACT:
- Category 1 – Those who have been partially or not affected;
- Category 2 – Those who have been significantly affected (at least 30 per cent reduction in business income); and
- Category 3 – Those who have to shut-down operations due to COVID-19 health restrictions.
The package announced today also includes a $20million Jobs for Canberrans Fund to allow the ACT Public Service to retain staff and employ additional workers on short-term contracts for specific tasks.
More information available here.