The variation to the Clerks Award extends the operation of Schedule I to 30 September 2020.
The Schedule permits:
- employees to work ordinary hours from home pursuant to an expanded spread of hours (6am to 10pm);
- employers to request the taking of annual leave (which employees cannot unreasonably refuse) provided employees retain a balance of two weeks annual leave;
- a reduction of employee hours by up to 25% for those employers who availed themselves of this provision before 1 July 2020.
These provisions are subject to additional safeguards, including that:
- any direction or request made under the Schedule cannot be unreasonable in the circumstances;
- to implement any arrangements under the Schedule, employers must consent to the Commission arbitrating any dispute that might arise about the Schedule’s operation (if a dispute is raised).
The Commission has extended the operation of Schedule X in many modern Awards for a variety of periods.
Schedule X entitles:
- any employee to take up to two weeks’ unpaid leave if the employee is required by government or medical authorities or on the advice of a medical practitioner to self-isolate and is consequently prevented from working; and
- agreement to be reached for an employee taking double annual leave on half pay, provided that the agreement is recorded in writing.