5 Days Unpaid Domestic Violence Leave approved in all Modern Awards
- On 27 March 2018, the Fair Work Commission ruled that Australian employees should have access to five (5) days unpaid leave to deal with domestic violence matters.
- Family or domestic violence leave will be available in the event where an employee needs to take leave to deal with circumstances of family or domestic violence and it is impractical to do outside of working hours.
- Unpaid domestic violence leave will be extended to all employees covered by a modern award, including part-time and casual employees.
- The leave will not be pro-rated for employees working less than 38 hours per week and the 5 days will refresh at the beginning of each year rather than accruing during a year of service. The leave will not accumulate from year to year.
- A model clause is being drafted by the Fair Work Commission and it will be some weeks before this will be finalised. We will update you with further information shortly!